Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Blog Challenge: Day 10

Day 10: Something You're Afraid Of
I could just tell you I'm afraid of spiders, snakes, and bugs in general. That's all pretty true. If the world didn't have any of those things, I'd be perfectly fine with that! However, I figure I could probably go a little deeper and give my readers a little more insight into my life.

Here goes: I have a pretty big fear of failure. I'm not talking the kind where I "sweat the small stuff." I'm talking about the bigger things in life. It's okay if I burn the dinner or I forget to do something. Those things don't reflect on me personally. It's doing things that require me to step out and prove that I'm capable of doing something that a lot of people wouldn't do. Sometimes it keeps me from stepping out at all and I wind up missing an opportunity to do something that I would have really enjoyed. In high school and college, it kept me from reaching my full potential to be a better student. You see, I was always a pretty smart kid and I didn't have to work hard to prove it. However, when the work did get harder, I was afraid that I wouldn't measure up, so I did the bare minimum to get by and made grades that were good enough. Had I put forth a little more effort, I could have made strait A's and gotten a lot more out of my school experience. That's just one example of how my fear has affected me.

It's taken me many years to be able to fully see how I let my fear affect me and to be able to admit it. The good news is that God is continually showing me how to overcome this fear and He's working in me to step out in faith that He's always in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment