It has become apparent that Wyatt has allergies. We've known for a while that he has seasonal allergies (not surprising since Kev and I both have them). However, we've recently discovered that he has some food allergies. Unfortunately, we're not exactly sure what he's allergic to. Here's the story:
About 6 weeks ago I fed Wyatt a little pre-made meal. I noticed that by the end of the meal his eyes were reddish, he was rubbing them a good bit, he was sneezy, and he had a bit of break-out around his mouth.
I decided to wait a while and try the meal again to see if he reacted again just to be sure it was that and not something else. Almost 2 weeks ago we tried it again. Well this time, it was worse. His breathing got really heavy and had a kind of wheeze on the end of each breath. He was pretty upset and crying and just holding on to me. There were a couple minutes there where I thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital. It was pretty scary and Kev was on his way home from a PTO thing so I was by myself. Wyatt did end up settling down, but his breathing was still heavy and wheezy. I finally called Dr. B (though I was very hesitant to call her at home). She was perfectly fine with it and told us what to give him. Needless to say, Wyatt slept in our room that night. I didn't sleep much because I kept waking up to listen to his snoring. He was so pitiful. It took a few days, but he finally started acting like he felt better.
So now we're trying to get Wyatt allergy tested. I've taken him 3 times to get his blood drawn, but it's very hard to do on a baby. He's done really well being stuck, he just screams because he HATES to be held down. Have I mentioned before that Wyatt has super-baby strength? Well he does. I takes all of me and at least another person to hold him down while the 3rd person tries to stick him. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get the veins to stay still. So we've got to try again. In the mean time, Dr. B did prescribe us an epi-pen for emergencies. Apparently, if you're exposed to the same allergy trigger, it can be much worse the next time. It was in this case and if Wyatt does come up against this trigger again, we could be using that epi-pen.
Please pray that we can find out what is causing the reactions so we can avoid it and a possible visit to the ER.