Monday, January 14, 2013

Why?

A lot of people have asked me why, so I decided to write down the reasons behind why I chose to have a natural birth experience.

If you know me, you know that this seems so crazy and the people who do know me thought I was.  However, as surprised as they were, they were supportive and basically just went with what I wanted.
After 2 uncomplicated pregnancies, labors, and deliveries with epidurals, I was all set to do it again. Then, over the summer, we went on vacation and I wanted a book to read so I snagged one off the bookshelf that caught my eye. Christ Centered Childbirth. If I had known it was a book about natural childbirth, I honestly would not have even picked it up! However, it was and I read it and I was encouraged and inspired to try it.  The basis is relying on God to ease the discomfort and there are tons of scripture references and even prayers to pray during the different stages of labor and delivery.  I prayed in the weeks and months leading up to the delivery that God would prepare me mentally and spiritually, as well as physically. I knew that if I put my trust in Him, He would bring me through it. You know that saying, "If He brings you to it, He'll bring you through it".  I remained patient as I had braxton hicks contractions   I did start having doubts in the last week that I might not be able to do it, but I knew that my support team would be there to encourage me in whatever decisions I made.
Other factors included hearing people I knew that had recently experienced the repercussions that can come with having epidurals and I have a close friend who's done the natural thing multiple times. I also read a birth story from a girl who was an inspiration to me and many girls in my youth group.  I read this story while I was pregnant with Maggie, but I was of the mindset that she was awesome and I'd never be able to do that!
One thing I knew I'd need was Kevin to be on board and willing to take a much more active role during labor.  I needed him to read the book (well parts of it anyways).  I had him read certain sections that basically outlined what he would need to do to support and encourage me.
The last reason I decided to try it was that I knew that I would probably have the chance to get an epidural if I couldn't handle it early on!

Stay tuned for the rest of the birth story tomorrow and see if I made it through!

No comments:

Post a Comment